2 Oak (between Front & First Streets)
The brewery on this site found new life as the Koerber Brewing Company on April 8, 1933, the day after Prohibition was repealed.
William G. Koerber was president, with his brothers Charles and Arthur acting as officers. Kerber lived along the Detroit River in Detroit and commuted to Toledo several days a week. On nice days, he could be seen coming to work up the Maumee in his thirty-five-foot Belle Isle Super-Bearcat speedboat.
The Kerber’s renovated the Home Brewing operation with new equipment and a bottling plant, which gave it a capacity of 150,000 barrels per year. Their primary brews were pilsner and a seasonal bock beer, a dark, malty, lightly hopped ale.
The brewery closed in 1949 due to competition from larger regional and national breweries.
In 1949, the building was taken over by the Maumee Chemical Co, which made saccharin.
This is where things turn tragic. In May 1962, a large explosion and fire destroyed the building, killing ten workers and injuring more than 40. There are no remains of the factory at the site today. For more on the Maumee Chemical plant explosion, visit the Toledo History Box.
Move north on Front to Main, pull over at the intersection for the next tour segment.