Traveling West on Lagrange
Welcome to the Vistula Historic District, the oldest neighborhood in Toledo. The pioneer village of Vistula, also known as the “Lower Landing” on the Maumee was established in 1833 by Benjamin F. Stickney and Edward Bissell; Vistula was merged with its rival, Port Lawrence, in 1837 (after the settlement of the "Toledo War") to become Toledo, Ohio as a way to take advantage of the coming Miami and Erie canal.
Today, the Vistula area is Toledo’s oldest neighborhood; it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Back in the day, the moneyed people of this area lived in Vistula. It was close to the river, which was the center of all commerce but far enough away from the dirt and noise of Port Lawrence and the warehouses.
This area is home to several of Toledo’s mother churches that still exist in our suburbs.
Over the years, this area became home for folks of Greek, Syrian and Lebanese descent. In fact, Danny Thomas and Jamie Farr, both actors with Mid-Eastern heritages, had connections from this area. Farr’s parents owned a grocery store on the corner of Locust and Ontario streets.
Continue west on Lagrange to Champlain. Take a right and pull up in front of the Auto-Lite Strike Memorial (on your left) at 1101 Champlain Street.